Friday, December 4, 2009

Goodbye my friends, goodbye.

Just recently Guam has lost three well known photographers. Paul Borja, Roel Santiago, and Eduardo Siguenza.
 I knew Paul through acquaintances, and through many of his articles in the Pacific Daily News. He was a former editor of the Guam PDN. I admired his commitment to photojournalism. He was a good friend and relative of many in my circle.
  I knew Roel Santiago since we were in the Boy Scouts. We also went to high school together. He was always smiling and would always take the time to chat with you. He never hesitated to share his knowledge of photography. A week before he passed, we had talked about going to the PI together for a photography seminar. He was a major influence in my decision to shoot with a Canon.
  Eduardo Siguenza was a photography icon on Guam. Everyone on the island knew Ed Siguenza. Someone, somewhere, on Guam has a story to tell about him. I knew Ed for a long time as his son Floyd and I were always hanging out together. We were virtually inseparable, and his family was my family. Whenever you ran into Ed, he always had his camera. Really. He always seemed to be at every event that took place on the island. He was a mainstay at the many South Pacific Games. He had documented Guam and her people for about  fifty years. He always gave away the pictures he would take at the  many religious ceremonies we have on Guam, to the church free of charge. Ed was well known and well respected. At his funeral mass, at the Dulce Nombre De Maria Cathedral-Basilica, when 12 priests come out to give his mass, you know he was well respected! I am privileged not only to know him, but to be a part of his family.
Guam will miss you guys. Adios.